Child Support


Child Support


The dissolution of a family through separation, divorce or other changes in parents’ relationship status will almost undoubtedly have emotional consequences for a child. But a change in family situation should not cost a child a comfortable home, medical care or educational opportunities. That’s why child support laws and enforcement services exist.

But accurately calculating how much a non-custodial parent should be paying or collecting child support payments on time is often more difficult than it seems, particularly when one (or both) parent is in the military. To make sure that your children are receiving the financial support they are entitled to and that both parents are contributing fairly, you may need the help of a child support lawyer.

The lawyers at Ellen Cronin Badeaux, LLC have the experience to help child support recipients receive enforcement services and assist payors who have been served with motions regarding current child support arrangements.

For Child Support Recipients

Louisiana child support laws are meant to minimize the impact of a change in family situation on your child by requiring both parents to contribute to the child’s needs. Child support payments should allow the custodial parent to adequately provide:

  • Basic physical needs, including: food, clothing and shelter
  • Medical expenses, including: health, dental and vision insurance and out-of-pocket expenses
  • Educational expenses, including: tuition, tutoring, school uniforms, and extra-curricular activity fees
  • Counseling, if necessary

If you have had difficulty collecting sufficient and on-time payments, Ellen Cronin Badeaux, LLC can help you enforce child support orders by seeking penalties for arrearages.

For Child Support Payors

Louisiana child support laws are meant to benefit the recipient—the child. Unfortunately, because the child is a minor, child support is mediated through the custodial parent, who may seek to turn child support into a vehicle to benefit themselves. So, payors may need a child support lawyer’s help to settle disputes.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux, LLC can help child support payors who have been served with:

  • Motion for Contempt, for non-payment
  • Motion of Medical Support, to add health insurance
  • Petition for Paternity and to Establish Support
  • Motion to Modify, to Increase child support

We have 22 years of experience helping non-custodial parents, usually fathers, fight unfair child support motions. We have experience helping military parents who are on-base out of state or stationed overseas:

  • Seek modification, to decrease child support
  • Seek custody
  • Dispute paternity
  • Prove their child support is current
  • Because of direct payments rather than state payments
  • Because they carry health insurance for their child or are unable to obtain it
  • Because of an error made by child support enforcement services who often have difficulty understanding military Leave and Earnings Statements (LES)

The child support lawyers at Ellen Cronin Badeaux, LLC know fathers’ rights and we know what factors need to be considered to fairly calculate child support when a motion has been filed to modify payments based on a change in circumstances.

If you need help calculating or collecting child support, contact Ellen Cronin Badeaux, LLC.

Serving the New Orleans and Baton Rouge Metro and Northshore Areas. Call 985-664-4493 to schedule a consultation.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux, LLC serves the parishes of Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Jefferson, Livingston Orleans, St. Bernard, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Washington, and West Feliciana. We are happy to help those in the communities of Amite, Baton Rouge, Chalmette, Covington, Denham Springs, Franklinton, Gonzales, Hammond, Livingston, Kenner , Madisonville, Mandeville, Metairie, New Orleans and Slidell.